Need an Injury Attorney for a Utah Bicycle Accident?
Bicycle safety is important in every state, and Utah wants this message to be known. Unfortunately, bicycle accidents happen every year due to the negligence of drivers who are not paying attention to the roadways and those riding bikes through town or in cities. In Utah every year, approximately 6 people lose their lives to these accidents and about 850 are reported seriously injured after being involved in an accident. Because Utah is one of the 14 states that do not require riders to wear helmets, this puts them at higher risk of brain damage sustained when they fall off the bike in an accident. Though it makes sense to prepare for an accident when you ride a bicycle, you may never suspect a serious accident involving a vehicle with a driver who acted negligently and disregarded your safety. You may wonder how to bring a claim against a negligent party if it happens to you.
After Your Bicycle Accident
Many people don’t know what should be done after they have been involved in a bicycle-related accident. If you want to gain compensation that you deserve after a bicycle accident, you will have to be able to show how the accident occurred and why you believe the other party is liable for your injuries. Here are some ways to do this:
- Ensure that your bicycle is completely removed from the roadways so that there is less of a chance that you will be involved in another accident. You want to get yourself to safety at any cost.
- Record contact information for parties involved in the accident, as well as any witnesses who saw the accident from beginning to end.
- Capture the license plate number from the responsible driver, because this could come in handy later.
- Never try to negotiate with a driver or take the blame for the accident, because this could negatively impact your case.
- Call the police so that they can come and assess the scene and look into what might have caused the accident, from their point of view.
- Receive medical treatment as soon as possible after you have been hit. You should always keep good documentation on your medical bills and the type of treatment you receive so you can receive compensation for it later on.
Without following these vital steps after an accident, you may not be able to retain your rights and ask for compensation from a liable party. You want to be able to prove every step of your claim. Call an experienced attorney to help you keep good documentation every step of the way, and find out what is needed from you.
Talking to an Attorney You Can Trust
It is not unheard of to sustain very serious bicycle accident injuries after a car has hit you on the roadways. Some of the most common injuries include fractures of the mouth and jaw, facial contusions, dislocated joints, brain damage, and road rash if you are thrown from your bicycle. No matter what, if you are a cyclist who has been injured due to the negligence of another party, you should not handle your case alone because you could miss out on compensation for aspects like medical bills, lost wages, and more. You don’t want to handle your case on your own because you could be dealing with big insurance companies and attorneys looking to protect the defendant in your case. Luckily, we are here for you to answer all of your questions and compensate on your behalf, no matter what it takes. Call us for more information on how we can help.